Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Floriade, Canberra, and Kangaroos!

Well....my apologies to the few people who read my blog! It's been a long time since I've posted anything here. Although I have to admit that I'm not the speediest person when it comes to updating computer stuff :) Anyway, The last two weeks have been somewhat eventful in my so far quiet life in Australia. The first weekend in October, my aunt Kerry and I went to Canberra on a very fancy and exclusive V.I.P.  trip...how??? Kerry, by a complete stroke of luck, won a recipe competition and therefore won the prize package of being flown down (with a guest---me) to Canberra, having V.I.P. passes to the night fest of Floriade, cooking her recipe on stage with a popular chef, and the Australian celebrity Natalie Gruzlewski...not to mention all accomodations were included too :)
Funny thing is...Kerry is not particularily known for her culinary skills...and even funnier, she never made the dish in her life! She literally (with help of her friend) just listed down ingredients that sounded good together and won! She never made the dish, had no idea what half the ingredients even looked like, and she was up on stage acting like she cooked the dish a hundred times! It was completely great! If any of you knew my aunt Kerry, she has one of the best personalities and can bullshit with the best of them. I guess that skill came into play during her cooking debut - not to mention her entertaining stage presence :)
Perhaps some of you are wondering what Floriade is. It is a huge flower festival similar to Tulip Time, but since I've never been to Tulip Time I can't really tell you how it compares, but it was fantastic! It was absolutely beautiful! Especially at night,  everything was so colorful and magical looking. We spent the evening walking around the grounds, looking at the vendors, eating samples of treats along the way and absolutely freezing our butts off!! It was cold. I'm talking like 30s and damp from the rain that we had all day long. It was not comfortable weather - and definitely not the type of weather that you would imagine in Australia! Regardless, it was a great time!
The following day we spent a good amount of time driving around with Kerry's friend Julie, and looked at all the Embassies. For those of you that don't know, Canberra is pretty much the equivilant of our Washington D.C. It's a government city and is it's own entity, self governed and not considered a part of any state. But you wouldn't believe how beautiful some of the embassies are! Of course the U.S. embassy was gigantic and completely over the top with security which made it pretty gay considering that the other embassies were just hanging out without any security. Honestly America, no body gives a shit!
Moving on.
We also went to the Parliment House, a lookout point, the War Museum (which was actually quite entertaining), an art museum - where I got yelled at for taking a picture of a display---although, there were absolutely NO signs anywhere banishing camera usage.....whatever.
And we also went to the Government House where I saw my first ever kangaroo! It was far away, but it was massive!
All in all, this was a very pleasant first trip to Canberra :) And I'm actually here in Canberra again for the rest of this week because I got a fill-in piano job for a workshop.
But, I'll be posting about this trip later ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment