Monday, October 31, 2011

Jobs, Dancing, and Sweaty Mike:)

Okay, I just realized that the last time I updated my blog was on October 12th and it's going into November tomorrow...sorry. Anyway, I have a job!!!!!!!
I recently got hired at a restaurant in the CBD (central business district) of Sydney and it's called "Steel Restaurant". It's quite nice - the food looks really good and probably over priced for what it is...but hey, I just work there. The first shift I had they put me on for a double shift! I worked from 11:45am until 10:00pm! Let's back up---I haven't worked like that in almost 2 months and the first shift is close to a 12 hour day...on my feet! I could hardly walk home my feet hurt so bad.
I don't think I ever realized how much I loath working in the restaurant biz until now. But, until something else turns up it's what I have to do to make the money honey!
Well, I went to my first 'social dancing' night by myself on Friday night. I have recently taken up swing dancing - which is very popular here. There are classes all over the place and people really get into it.
So far I've learned to do a little bit of the triple step, the charleston, and the lindy hop---all of which I still am a bit shakey on--but no worries! I'm a lady so all the pressure really falls on the guy because they have to lead :) So, needless to say, even with my dancing skills I can look decent with a good partner :)
Soooo....I went to a social dance night this past Friday and it was really fun! There was a beginner lesson for the first hour where we learned the triple-step and then there was a live band and a TON of people showed up to shake their booties :) It was awesome, and even a little intimidating at times to see some people dance....WOW! Some of them were pretty bad-ass! And luckily there were quite a bit of guys there that knew how to dance too which is great for us ladies that arrived without partners - otherwise we'd be wall flowers all night.
There was a good mix of experienced and beginner dancers there and people who just showed up for the hell of it. It was really a friendly atmosphere. I had a nice time meeting different people and dancing with a few different gentlemen that were beginners like I was as we both tripped and stumbled our ways through the dances...but nevertheless it was fun. And then there were other men that were much more experienced and made me look like a seasoned dancer :) Which if you knew my dancing talents, it's quite unfathomable to picture me looking like I know what I'm doing!
A little into the dancing the hall was really getting hot --just in time for a young man to ask me to dance...now, I can't remember his name so I'll just call him Mike.
He was really a great dancer and lead, and it was all fun and games until he decided to smash his sweaty body and face next to mine and sweat ALL OVER me! He kept squishing me into him and kept trying to do this schmultzy dance with me that I was NOT into. He was so sweaty that he made the side of my face and hair damp when he squished me into him. I guess I wouldn't mind dancing that way with someone that I wanted to be that close with----but dude!    I don't know you! AND you're sweatier than a sinner in church! PLEASE give me back my dancing-space-bubble. He not only danced with me for one song, but for like five songs in a row! I think there was more of his sweat on my body than my own!
And yes folks, I showered vigorously when I got home...I don't remember the last time I used that much shampoo and soap :)

I have found a site called "Meetup" which is a site that you can find different interest groups and meet people...so although I don't have another encounter with Sweaty Mike at a social dance outing this coming Friday I will be having my first "Meetup" with the social group that I joined. It's a group for expats in Australia and everyone is a newcomer and are eager to meet friends...which will be great!
It's about time that I should meet some friends...of course that is, some friends besides Sweaty Mike :)

No comments:

Post a Comment